10 February 2010

ch-ch-ch-changes.

Another 6 weeks in Como! Are you excited? I will get to see the beginning of winter to spring transformations! (Question, did the groundhog decide more winter? It snowed last week, then poured rain, and snowed again.)

As for my companion, she will be making her way to Modena for awhile. I will surely miss having an Italian companion, but I am also excited for another companion. I am going back to Milan tomorrow to bring home a new missionary. It will be another experience for me that I am looking forward to, but more so I am looking to learn!

Now that you all know about my changes I will tell you about this week. It started out with a lot of trials and stress, but at the end I am grateful for everything that I learned, even if I did not always do everything right. We were able to teach many people this week and most of the lessons were successful. We even discovered the problem that is holding Monica back, it is going to be a long road for us and her if we are going to overcome the problem. I am grateful for promptings from the spirit that tell me when we need to go see someone and also the gift of discernment that allows us to more fully understand the situations of our investigators. The more I think about it, the more grateful I am that Heavenly Father has trusted me enough to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to His children. There are only four missionaries in Como, we have a wonderful opportunity and a great responsibility being the bearers of the restored "good word" and the truth. It really is a bummer when people look at us as if we are evil. If only they would open their eyes and hearts to have a clearer understanding of the principles and doctrines we teach and practice. I promise I am not crazy to leave the comforts of home to live in a foreign land for a year and a half.

I always get side tracked. Saturday was a beautiful day for us and our work. We took the morning to visit a less-active and when she bore testimony to us I knew that we were in the right place at the right time. I could see her desire to come back, but having been offended she has yet to make the real decision. My heart hurts for the children of God who have been mistreated, but I also hurt that they are missing out on the fullness of the blessings. Later that afternoon we visited our investigator Rodolfo. We taught him about the restoration and he was excited to start reading the Book of Mormon. Both him and his brother Mario are searching for something more in their life, and thanks to the help of our member friend Nelly they are getting closer to their Father in Heaven! We left that appointment a little too late and raced to the train tracks to find as soon as we have locked the bikes our train was gone. We called our next appointment and informed them we would be late. The Bellofatto family, less active members. When we finally did arrive the daughter, Veronica, and her son, Diego, picked us up and I was so happy to finally meet her since we have been trying to contact them for the past 4 months. Diego is 7 and was so excited to receive his first Book of Mormon. His dad is a non member and things are looking up for the family. I am excited to start really teaching them and helping Veronica return to church with her whole family! Later that evening I biked up one of the steepest hills in Como to arrive at Luba's house to teach her friend Tamara. Tamara was invited to be baptized and has agreed to continue meeting with us until she finds her answer. Her problem right now is her ties with her family and he religion. Her parents were orthodox, her kids are orthodox, her husband... She can not make the decision right away, but she is searching!

The only part I do not like about Italy is that nearly every day I return home with the stench of cigarettes. Yes nearly everyone smokes and it is hard to avoid.

Como is wonderful and being prepared for the spring. Branch cutting, seed planting and city cleaning.

I stopped a few women on the street who were confused as to why I said hello. I wish people were more friendly with their neighbors so people would not feel so strange when someone said hi. But, the advantage is that they notice we are different and we have an excuse to introduce who we are!

Happy are we!

turn and face,
Sore Frédérique Stone Carroll

No comments: