23 September 2009

here comes the sun.

I return to the old tradition of starting you off by reading a quote. A quote that helped me understand an event that happened yesterday.

"The Lord's way is not hard. Life is hard, not the gospel. 'There is opposition in all things,' everywhere, for everyone. Life is hard for all of us, but life is also simple. We have only two choices. We can either follow the Lord and be endowed with His power and have peace, light, strength, knowledge, confidence, love and joy, or we can go some other way, whatever other way, and go it alone -- without His support, without His power, without guidance, in darkness, turmoil, doubt, grief, and despair. And I ask, which way is easier?"

Which way really is easier? Yesterday my companion and I walked into the apartment of an old investigator. Beatrice. I may have mentioned her a couple months ago but since she left on vacation and returned we have yet to see her. I always loved visiting her because she would put a challenge in your face the second you stepped in the door. At the same time it could get frustrating because she has a hard time accepting our responses. Anyway, yesterday we wanted to talk to her about prophets...ancient and living. As if she hardly listened to anything we said, she asked me, "Have you ever doubted that God exists?" I said yes. I said yes, because I did at one point. I never said He does not exist, but I let doubtful thoughts clutter my mind. But then I looked her in the eyes and said (something of the sort), 'God and His son Jesus Christ live and love you. They want only the best for us. We will all have trials in life, there must be opposition in everything.' I began to cry, because I was feeling the truthfulness of what I was saying. I know the best thing I can do is bear testimony, even if our listeners do not recognize immediately. I left her house yesterday afternoon a little upset. But that does not mean we are giving up.

I understand completely when people look at our world today and ask "Why?" I understand that they are confused. I also understand that God loves them just as much as He loves me. I want to help everyone have "the eternal perspective" of life. Rather than dwelling on today's struggles, look at what we will be able to accomplish tomorrow. Even if my struggles in life are but minute compared to what our Savior went through, they are still struggles that have helped me better understand my purpose in life. Because I have one. We have one. The best term I can think of is magical. It is magical.

Maybe I should tell you the news ... We have now followed a series of Maria Di Franco updates. After I wrote you last week a few things have changed. Her husband still loves us, but does not want to learn anything about the gospel. (Keep the faith and prayers). We went to dinner last Thursday again, and right when her Husband walked in she said "do not talk about the church." We said, alright as usual. Not but thirty seconds later she turned around and said "I want to get baptized." Giovanni did not even think twice and said, "yeah!" Part of that response probably came because we were present, but also because he really is a nice guy. Then he made some comment about already being baptized, typical Italian. Maria said right back to him that his baptism was a "terrible error". (I see where some of our problems come in. We will work on the PR of sharing the gospel with her husband.) The end of the story is ... Maria Di Franco is getting baptized. October 31st. If I had my penguin costume I would wear it to the event in honor of Halloween, but mostly Maria. We are excited!

I want to tell you all thank you, thank you for helping me understand, helping me gain a testimony, and always encouraging me. I am glad I understand the Lord's way really is easy. It is time for everyone else to understand. Keep working hard!

do do do dooo,
Sorella Frédérique Stone Carroll

No comments: