16 September 2009

a golden bird that flies away.

The leaves have begun to dance to the song of the wind. Three days have been spent walking through a mist of the most glorious cloud. I think I would love to live in Seattle. I turn into a completely different person when the sky turns grey. And it is not a depressing Riqué, but maybe too crazy to be a missionary Riqué. It is almost as if I were a child again.

The change of the seasons came sooner than I expected, but not too soon to stop and enjoy every moment. Last week we were hot hot hot and humid, this week we are wet. (At least I have some cheetah rain boots to splash puddles with!) We have remained happy all the same. Although my companion and I are going to start looking like we are attending a funeral in our all black get-up, we are excited about the adventure that lies ahead. We are living to the fullest the motto, "if you are not having fun, you are doing something wrong." True about the mission, true about life. Puh-lease, "Adam fell, and men are, that they might have joy."

Remember how I told you I had two marvelous weeks? Well, it was about time the hard time hit. Last week. I wonder if we got too caught up in our pride, thinking "look at us, we are such good missionaries." I will not lie, I thought we were doing pretty good. Relying on the Lord is what we needed to be doing. We can work hard, with the help of the Lord. A good humbling came and I really learned this is not my work, even one bit. I know/knew it was not mine, but every once in a while I guess I need a reminder. I am grateful for these repeats though, something that keeps me in line. We are all imperfect people, so the reminders are greatly necessary.

Last week I ate dinner with my dear friend Maria Di Franco and I will have you know her husband loves us! So much in fact that we have been invited over for dinner tomorrow night. Although Maria does not have permission to get baptized, we are still seeing the miracles that faith brings into our lives. I love being a first hand witness. I do not want to speak too soon, but I firmly believe one day Maria's husband will one day accept the gospel as well. Even if it takes a little time.

I cried on Monday when we were knocking doors. Well, just let my eyes fill with water. It was my turn to knock and as soon as the woman opened the door I was so happy to share with her the message of the restoration, then she stepped out and pointed at me saying "Which happiness. It does not exist. I just lost my grandson this morning." I attempted to explain to her that we have knowledge of the plan of salvation but she shewed us away all too quickly and slammed the door. I stopped and stared for a couple minutes, left a note (which may or may not have been accepted), and continued. At that moment my heart broke for her. I plead with my Father in Heaven that He would help her understand. Sometimes it is incredibly hard watching people you love, yet hardly know, reject the greatest blessing that they could ever experience. I am just glad that there are those who will accept now, and I pray for the others that one day the message of the Restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ will ring true.

Being a missionary is important. More important than anything. Sharing the gospel, being an example of Christ, raising children, obeying the commandments, going to church and so on are all forms of missionary work. We are all enlisted, and happy are we!

I love you, more than you know.
Good luck with this next week and all the crazy you are doing. Keep living righteously and being strong. I appreciate you all for who you are and what you have helped me learn.

Did I tell you I love you?

Ever there,
Sorella Frédérique Stone Carroll

No comments: