20 May 2009

going through the desert.

Carissma Famiglia,

I love you.

All I want to say is this: “And thus we see the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards of the Lord; and thus we see the great reason of sorrow, and also of rejoicing—sorrow because of death and destruction among men, and joy because of the light of Christ unto life.” - -Alma (Alma 28 14

This week my hero is Alma, Alma the younger to be specific. As I read in the Book of Mormon everyday I learn something incredible. I am currently in the Alma chapters and I have the hardest time putting the book down. I am learning how important my work is. I watch Alma put forth everything he has, and I think...“can I not do the same?” I absolutely can. I see everyday the need for the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the world, and I rejoice with Alma in the work. Usually I wake up thinking, “It is already time?” But I force into my head that I only have 18 months, 4 of which are gone. Thank you to Alma for he “could not rest” neither can I. In all reality no one can. How short is our time and how much need does everyone have hear this GLORIOUS GOOD NEWS?

Because I know dad posts my letters on the blog I have something to say to the world...(or maybe to the two people who take a gander at it):
Wake-up. Look at the world around you. With Alma, I say “all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.” (Alma 30:44). Sometimes I find myself getting frustrated when people do not believe in God, but then I remember that is my job to help them. I can say that I absolutely know that we have a loving Heavenly Father. He is the easiest person to communicate with, and it costs nothing. I even have to pay to send e-mail. He loves you just as much as he loves me, and I know he loves me quite a bit. I have felt His love for others and I have been able to see people the way He sees them, there is no doubt in my mind that He is very very aware of everyone of His children.

Yesterday I had interviews with my mission president. How did president and the zone leaders know what to say? How did they know that was everything I was searching for the past two weeks? How? Because God is mindful of my needs, and just as much yours. The promises from our Father in Heaven are miraculous. I encourage you to seek them out and receive the incredible blessings that are there if you just ask.

Enough of Sorella Carroll.

This past week Sorella Smith and Sorella Carroll were at it. We have really been trying to be the picture perfect “Preach My Gospel” missionaries.

You see someone in need, you offer to help. (Which reminds me...I offered to help a man with his grocery bags and he thought I asked for one of his lemons. I laughed and offered again, and he said he was fine but if I wanted a lemon I was more than welcome. What a kind man.)

You see someone who is dragging their feet, you give them a lift (even if it is a “good day!” or a smile. We were able to get an appointment out of doing that...you never know who you can share the gospel with especially when you think you are just trying to get to your next appointment).

You try and take every chance you have to share the gospel. (For example, we are walking to our investigator Epifana's apartment and notice an old lady sitting at her window crying asking what day it is. We stop to remind her it is Sunday and she keeps crying. Then I reach up to grab her hand and she just keeps crying. Then we explain we have something that will bless her life and she invites us to come back whenever we want. Rosa.)

You try not to be pushy, but you make sure everyone knows what you are here for. (Oops, I accidentally walked into someones house thinking it was an aparment complex. The lady was coming to the door, and had to tell me to get back outside and tell her who I was from the street. I was going for boldness I guess?)

I am far from perfect, but I can tell you that efforts and paying off. The Lord is blessing us. I see miracles daily. I love being a missionary. Thank you!

on a horse with no name,
Sorella Frederique Stone Carroll



Last day in Genova before transfers (older picture)

No comments: