13 October 2008

THIS american life.





My obsession consists of a man by the name of Ira Glass and his weekly radio broadcast. This American Life, surprisingly entertaining, provides passage ways into the lives of my fellow Americans. You laugh, learn, love, cry, share. We enjoy. Let us just call it a movie for the radio. This thirteen year old radio show has won various awards while it runs on more than 500 stations around the country. Ira Glass was named best radio show host by Time Magazine.
Sometimes I pretend that I know these people, I enjoy sharing their emotions. It is these stories that keep America America. We aren't perfect, but we are living our lives the best we can. We do what we want.
Someone, somewhere, sharing their story with me so that I can learn. Thank you my dear Americans and Ira.





















There is an episode about the funniest phone messages, which I think I should have been included in. When I was an innocent freshman in high school I woke up one morning to find a new voicemail. No missed call, just one new message. I was listening only to find that someone was obviously making fun of me. I happened to think this was the funniest thing of my life. If only I have kept it...It consisted of this (still) mystery person talking to me about my "frickin beehive" and granny panties. I think everyone I knew heard the message because I couldn't get over it. Oh I miss that life, good thing people still tease me. Love.

the free pod-cast. highly recommended.

3 comments:

bbandcb said...

hey rique it's brooke (sara's sister). you know there is a tv show too, right? you should watch it, it's like the radio show but 10x cooler.

mk said...

the hardest day of my life came when I had to admit that I listen to NPR but it was worth it because of the countless nights I have drifted into a relaxed slumber as I listened to This American Life, I am glad there is someone to share in my obsession!

mk said...

ps. do you think we could have a dance part to Ira's voice?