04 July 2008

it never seems so strange.

Song: July July! - The Decemberists

July July July. Two months gone, in the words of Ferris, “Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop to look around once in a while you could miss it.” My dad reminded me this morning after about eighty great letters only three remain from my dear sister. Nothing gets me more excited to say it is July!

After visiting five countries in the past two months I realize how fortunate I have been. My five senses have never been more surprised. My eyes have seen the most beautiful neighborhoods, art, buildings and people. My nose has experienced various revolting scents along with the most delightful smells that you would think you reached heaven. Hand sanitizer was put on my hands more often than not due to an assortment of “things” I was found touching. The sounds of the street have been music to my ears. Last but not least, my tiny taste buds have been in complete bliss with the diverse foods I have had the opportunity to test. It has all happened in a summer and I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

Yesterday was an event where more people enter the city than any other day, and YES I was there. I did not dare enter the middle of the crowd, but I saw parades, people, horses, pride and song. I could be wrong, but I have been lead to believe this event dates back to the medieval times. There is so much history in this little city it is unbelievable.

Being able to view the pride of the city open up has been an experience in itself. A shop that sold various electronics had five televisions playing the news so I stopped with two other interns and watched for a couple hours. I stood in a group of Italians who laughed and joked until the moment the horses took off. Then their attitudes got serious as they screamed for their contrada. A group of five girls about my age, all of the porcupine contrada were screaming with excitement when their rider stormed the front of the pack while the others ate dust.

Remember I said I was supporting the contrada of the porcupine? Well, we won. Yes it is true! I chose to walk through the “porcupine district” on my way back home. I have never seen so many happy people in one location. Amid the tears, waving flags, shouting and running was, what felt like, all the happiness in the world shoved into this small alleyway. I too, felt pride to be living with a woman who belongs to the porcupine contrada.

No comments: