12 May 2008

you are my sister.

The other day I walked through the met.ro. station and on came Spice Girls “2 become 1”. The risqué lyrics were sung, every one, by me as I continued out the exit. Not only did I think about my two wonderful roommates, Sarah and Alyse (who will forever remind me of Spice Girls), but I also reminisced about the years when my sister and I made up dances to those repugnant pop songs. I laugh and I cry. I once was nine, she was twelve. Today she is twenty three and the time in between is lost.

Since it is her birthday…My first night in Rome. One week ago I stepped of the plane into the country of my dreams. The second visit of that evening was the Spanish steps, apparently popularized by the film “Roman Holiday”. Ever since Italy can remember, the Spanish embassy has been located here with their red and yellow flag flying high and proud. I was proud. I felt so close to my best friend when I looked at that flag and sat on those stairs. I was doing my usual daydreaming before I realized there were tears rolling down my cheeks. Embarrassed and unsure of the people around me I cleaned my face and stood up. Darien rocks Spain, and I am jealous of that country to have her right now. Is it wrong for me to count? 72 days.

I found another favorite location in Rome today. It was a beautiful road surrounded by the luscious green trees. The bus took us past a quaint park which made me think of the parks I visited in London. Why was I in London, but to visit my sister on her study abroad. Why am I in Europe now? To be like my sister and study elsewhere in the world. Why is it that everything today reminded me of her? It is her birthday and I was sad I was not able to spend the day with her.

From the musicians on the train, the lady on the bus stroking my arm while mentioning sister missionaries, the sisters singing in church, to sitting here on my balcony. It all reminds me of Hermana Darien Lauren Carroll. A special day, and will be even more so when I can share all my feelings face to face.

(if you click the link below, a song will download. listen, it is good)
Antony & The Johnsons - You Are My Sister

You are my sister, we were born
So innocent, so full of need
There were times we were friends but times I was so cruel
Each night I'd ask for you to watch me as I sleep
I was so afraid of the night
You seemed to move through the places that I feared
You lived inside my world so softly
Protected only by the kindness of your nature
You are my sister
And I love you
May all of your dreams come true
We felt so differently then
So similar over the years
The way we laugh the way we experience pain
So many memories
But theres nothing left to gain from remembering
Faces and worlds that no one else will ever know
You are my sister
And I love you
May all of your dreams come true
I want this for you
They're gonna come true
gonna come true

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Rique Carroll. You have a blog. Dreams do come true. I love this. I love you. I love Darien. I love you and Darien. I love you and Darien and me in your parents hotel room making decorations of toilet paper and gifts of mints and panckaes. I love that you are in Italy. Italy loves you I know it. I love that I can read how much you love Italy and how much Italy loves you.


Thank you.

Alyse said...

i'm so glad the the repugnant pop songs remind you of me and sarah. nice work.